Subscribing to Typo-L
How to subscribe, -Unsubcribe- , and do other marvelous tricks with listserv commands; this is from the weekly message sent by Peter Flynn, our most able, patient, and charming listmom.
The addresses for posting messages to the List and for subscribing (and Unsubscribing) to the List are different. Be sure you are sending your message or listserv command to the appropriate address.
To subscribe to the Typo-L list, send a one line, email message:
to this address:
You will receive an automatic confirmation email. It will ask you to confirm your email address by replying to the message with a simple -- ok
When you are successfully subscribed, the address to use for messages to the TYPO-L list is:
All Typo-L messages are archived, and you will find them at:
All commands must be sent as messages from your subscribing email account to the listserv address:
Do not include fancy signatures, only a machine will see the message, and it has no interest in you and your activities at all.
Commands sent to the actual TYPO-L list address that is used to send postings will be laughed at derisively and cause total failure of your systems (carbon, and silicon-based, and digestive).
And now, Peter Flynn:
* To unsubscribe from TYPO-L, send a 1-line mail message saying:
to the address:
(the command SIGNOFF or UNSUBSCRIBE also works).
* If LISTSERV says it can't find your address, it means your address has been changed since you subscribed (you may not have been aware of it). In this case mail the list owner (TYPO-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org) and ask to be removed manually.
* To unsubscribe from all mailing lists anywhere on the network, use the command
UNSUB * (NETWIDE
(note there is NO closing parenthesis, and this only applies to mailing lists run by LISTSERV)
* To change your subscription address, send an UNSUB command as above from the old address, then subscribe afresh from the new address. To subscribe, send the command
SUB TYPO-L Forename Surname
to the LISTSERV address as above.
* If you go away on vacation, you don't need to unsubscribe. Send the command
SET TYPO-L NOMAIL
and mail delivery will be suspended. You can restart it with the command
SET TYPO-L MAIL
* If you want LISTSERV to reproduce you a copy of your own postings, send the command
SET TYPO-L REPRO
To turn the feature off, use SET TYPO-L NOREPRO (to get just an acknowledgment rather than a complete copy, use SET TYPO-L ACK and to turn it off, SET TYPO-L NOACK).
* If you prefer to deal with a more local organization, or you forget the address of the LISTSERV which runs TYPO-L, you can send these commands to ANY LISTSERV ON THE NETWORK, and it will automatically be forwarded to the correct address for TYPO-L.
There are more details in the reference card: send the command
GET LISTSERV REFCARD
(or your nearest LISTSERV).
Please mail me at:
if you experience any problems.